Sunday, June 21, 2026

Concerning the Old-School Essentials 2026 Core Books
Battle of Five Armies & The Third Age of Middle-Earth
All of our adventures & campaigns will take place during the Third Age of Middle-earth.
Inspired By J.R.R. Tolkien & Peter Jackson

I backed the new Old-School Essentials core books on Backerkit as soon as they went live. At the time I was super excited but recently I got my new books and sat down and gave both of them a good reading. First impressions . . . they both felt very underwhelming for the most part.

I did not feel like the two books brought much to the overall Old-School Essentials system, nothing that had me overly excited. I had high hopes that these new books would completely change the playing field for Old-School Essentials but for me . . . they didn't.

Now, I'll go on the record by saying, sure they were a solid set of books but did I get my moneys worth out of them? If I had to be honest . . . no, I didn't. All in all, I think they are solid books but, I do not think these new books are good enough to pull me away from my "slightly modified" Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy system that I am already using.

To be honest, the few new rules and/or mechanics that the 2026 core books introduced, I can simply migrate them into my existing Old-School Essentials system that I use now. One thing I did notice about the new changes is most of these changes, I was already using in my current system so, that makes this decision easier for me to make and the remaining few rules/mechanics that I currently am not using, I can simply import those into my Advanced Fantasy system. I also think these rules/mechanics that I bring into my current Advanced Fantasy system only makes it stronger in the long run. The current house rules that I use will remain in place, I don't think any of the new stuff in the new 2026 books will replace anything.

I'll continue using my same "slightly modifed" Old-School Essentials Advanced Fantasy system that I have been using with a few imported Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st edition rules/mechanics since it is working perfectly fine as it is now. Any questions any of new players might have, feel free to get with me so I can clarify any confusion you might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment